Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Keepin on Keepin on

Things I've learned while in Asia part 1:
1. Roosters don't only make noise in the morning. They do it... all... damn... day... long.
2. The single most versatile object ever created was the plastic bag.
3. No tourist should EVER wear one of those Vietnamese conical hats... those people look utterly ridiculous.
4. There are all kinds of stuff out here that will give you a rash of some type... fortunately there are also “Thai strength” topical steroids which will clear anything up in a day and a half.
5. I am way, way too punctual for South East Asia.
6. Thai/Cambodian/Lao karaoke music videos cease to be an interesting cultural phenomena as soon as you are forced to listen to them on every bus in the region. Pro Tip: Using your iPod to create your own soundtrack to these ridiculous videos however is a lot of fun.
7. Cold showers can either be the best, most refreshing, thing available or quite frankly, a religious experience.
8. Though air conditioned buses and minivans are available almost everywhere, getting one with functioning air con is the stuff of legends. Most times the driver just doesn't turn it on despite any advertised claims.
9. On the streets in any large town, one is just as likely to smell freshly served noodle soup as they are to smell raw sewage.

I board a plane tomorrow for the first time since I flew from Texas and I'm quite excited for this experience. Hanoi is 30+ hours by bus or just 1.5 hours by plane and I've finally decided to open my wallet in the name of convenience. Since that last flight, I've taken 14 bus rides, 7 train rides, 5 boat rides and even one in the back of a truck... I think it's time to mix it up a bit.

The last few days in Luang Prabang have been a total blast. I arrived here just in time for the Pii Mai Lao (Lao New Year) celebration where the entire town turns into one huge water fight. It was an awesome experience and detailed descriptions and pictures will get to Flickr as soon as I get a fast connection (probably in Hanoi).

The Mekong River has been a pervasive feature of the last couple months and I leave it tomorrow for the last time. Since March, I have never been too far from the river and I've been constantly reminded of it's ability to sustain life all throughout this region. I'll have to head down to the banks once more before I leave to smell its disgustingly pungent life giving waters.

So long... for now.

No comments: