Tuesday, March 18, 2008

On the Road, Again.


Well my brief stint in Cambodian employment has been prematurely cut short. Long story short, the owner sees employment in his bar as a tourist attraction and not as a viable job so he had no intention of following through on a pay increase that he promised from the very get go. Oh well, I got about one and a half solid weeks of fun and money out of it and although I will be losing a small amount of money during my stay here, I did get 2 free t shirts and some astronomical number of free drinks out of those assholes.

People have been wondering what my living conditions have been like while I'm here. I've been staying in a guesthouse called the Mandalay Inn. For $6.50/night I get a TV, fan, hot shower and wireless internet. It's a bit more expensive than other places I could stay but what was most appealing was their claim that it "look expensive but not." I checked and sure enough it not expensive and they came down on the price since I was staying for awhile.

Food in Cambodia is nothing to write home about (well I guess that is what I'm doing right now but whatever). Most of it is pretty bland except for the curries which are not spicy at all but have plenty of flavor. I try to eat at least 1 meal a day for $.50 which is usually just a packet of ramen noodles fried with chili sauce, vegetables, salt, sugar and oil. High class? no, but it is filling. The street stalls in town sell all kinds of fried noodles or rice with meat for $1 a dish which is usually my dinner. Again, pretty bland but filling none the less.

Well these past 2 weeks have been the longest I've spent in any one place since I've left and now it's time for me to get moving again. I'll be heading to Ban Lung, the provincial capital of the Northeastern province of Cambodia where there are plenty of waterfalls and a volcanic lake to enjoy. It'll take me 3 days of overland travel to get there since the roads are sooo bad but I've heard great things about the destination. Internet access will be intermittent so expect fewer blog posts in the near future. After that, I'll be heading into Laos to meet up with some Swedish friends I made during my time here and then Vietnam beyond that (more on them later).

ahhhh sweet sweet unemployment... I'm back!

1 comment:

hermyne said...

Darren darling....PLEASE stay safe and be careful. I just can't believe all you are doing and seeing. I love you, Nanny