Saturday, February 09, 2008

Just had to get out!

I've spent the better part of today napping in a hammock at the guesthouse I'm staying at in Ayutthaya. Bangkok is fun and crazy but to echo the suggestions I've been given in the past... you have to get out eventually!

The day or two after my last post was spent exploring Bangkok's Chinatown and some temples. I woke up and bought a plate of green curry with rice and chicken for 20B from a street vendor and then made my way down the river to Chinatown. This place is a very dense area of the city where many Chinese laborers were moved by the government in 1782. Now a maze of streets and alleys play host to a daily market where one can buy anything from dried fish to pirated DVDs. Each stall has something completely different from the ones bordering it. Fortunately, the hot sun is obscured by narrow alleys and awnings from every vendor which touch in the middle. After exploring for awhile, I bought an orange slush with black tapioca balls in the bottom and made my way to Wat Mangkon Kamalawat.

The most prominent temple in Chinatown was packed with people burning incense in homage to the various deities enshrined there. The smoke was so thick that you could barely breathe. Even the monks had to retreat outdoors from time to time. The whole experience was great and since it was off the popular Bangkok tourist track, I got to enjoy it among Thais and Chinese instead of yet another German tour group.

I woke up the next morning craving a change in scenery. After checking the timetables, I realized I could hop a train that left in one hour for the ancient capital of Ayutthaya. I packed my things and got in a Tuk-Tuk bound for the train station. Despite Bangkok's characteristic traffic, I made it on board with 5 minutes to spare. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders as the train left the city and I was able to see the Thai countryside for the first time.

Ayutthaya was everything I needed and more. I've spent the last 2 days exploring the ruins of 600 year old temples on foot and by bike. One in particular was a stunning white spire that was built first by the Burmese and finished by the Thai. The Golden Mount as it is called was surrounded by a moat where a white horse was taking a drink. A little ways down the road was a statue of a Thai king on a horse. He is surrounded by dozens of tacky plastic roosters. The king won a cockfight while being held hostage in Burma sometime ago and this, apparently, was a big deal. His statue is flanked on all sides by a loyal army of plastic cocks in formation.

I've uploaded pictures of all this stuff to my flickr page so be sure to take a look. Also, you can leave a comment without signing up for anything by using the nickname box.

Anyways, I've spent most of today napping in the shade of the guest house I'm staying in. This sleepy little town has given me the respite that I needed before Pat gets here and the real action begins. As I type this, I can hear the rain slowing down on the tin roof and the temperature has dropped enough to make it quite comfortable out. I think I'll go for a walk...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful description of this place!! You made me feel as if I was there. Now, I will go look at the photos. I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Darren,
You are such an adventurous spirit...and articulate too. i love the way you discribe things and can tell that keepingup with you travels is going to be funindeed. i jsut added your blog to my "favorites" page.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.